When you say that you love yourself, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you only love yourself.
In fact, as you learn to love yourself, you find unique ways to love others around you; you figure out who means it when they say they love you; and you give the power to yourself that you let hang in the hands of those who you thought knew best how to handle you.
The truth is, only you know how to handle you.
Here are more truths about learning to love yourself.
1. The first step towards loving yourself is to normalise saying no to others’ wants and needs that you know you can’t (or don’t want to) meet; instead of bending over backwards for someone who wouldn’t do the same for you.
2. It’s important to accept yourself as you are before you embark on this journey. There is no other way of getting to the finish line. Tell yourself every day how much you mean to you.
3. Learning to love yourself is a process that takes courage and patience. You can’t expect it to happen overnight. You have to work hard for it and be true to it.
4. To love oneself does not mean that you do not care about others. It simply means that you’d do anything for yourself that you’d do for the people who you so dearly love.
5. Loving one’s self is not everyone’s cup of tea, but it should be. Nobody should be conditioned to feel guilty about putting themselves first.
6. People will try to talk you out of it and it’s okay. Nobody likes being put second and neither should you.
7. Count your blessings and not your flaws, even on days when you think they’re out of balance. Be grateful for what you have, but also strive for what you hope to have, and who you hope to be.
8. Love manifests itself in a million ways and maybe at first you will have a hard time recognising it, but take the good with the bad and you’ll realize how empowering it can be.
9. All the efforts you put in will be worth it.
This happily ever after is when you acknowledge your worth and rise above all the negativity.
And remember, you’re never alone.